Wednesday, March 5, 2008

What Knitting Feels Like ...

Since I've been teaching knitting, I've struggled with finding words to describe what knitting feels like. I 've been reading The Joy of Knitting: Texture, Color, Design, and the Global Knitting Circle by Lisa R. Myers and here is quote that describes well how I feel:

"Once you get the hang of it, knitting is a lovely rhythmic motion. It can soothe and calm you. It can even put you into a meditative trance. While your hands are busy, your mind can be emptied of anxieties and details. Sometimes it may remain open and passive, in a Zen-like state. Other times, it may float free in contemplation of larger issues."

It is amazing because knitting a simple project can give me room to process a problem or slow my thoughts down when anxiety has them spinning out of control. Knitting a more challenging project can help me to take a break from worrying and give me a much needed escape. Sometimes, I swear I can feel the release in endorphins as I perform the pattern again and again.



No comments:

Post a Comment