Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Felted Boxes



This year I decided to make my kids' teachers' gifts. I chose something quick & easy, and I must say they turned out lovely. They are the felted boxes from Mason Dixon Knitting.

For my son's 3 preschool teachers, I made the large boxes. The first picture above shows the finished boxes. I added some homemade Cinnamon Crunch Popcorn to fill the inside of the boxes.

For my daughter's 1 teacher, I made a set of 3 nested boxes. The middle picture shows the boxes before I felted them.

The last picture shows a felted box close up. For those of you who haven't tried felting, it is really easy. These boxes were knit with a double strand of yarn, using Size 15 needles. To felt them, I put them in my washer with a pair of the kid's old shoes on the lowest water level and the highest water temperature. I also add a little detergent or baby shampoo. Felting shrinks the yarn, and makes it a stiff fabric. If you are felting something with straps or a belt, then put it in a pillowcase or a lingerie bag. If you want complete felting instructions, drop a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment